I just entered the Bridges of Portland Now challenge. So glad the deadline was extended to make it possible.
This is what I wrote about the Steel Bridge:
The Steel Bridge was the first bridge in Portland, but it was rebuilt so it isn’t the oldest. It supports all traffic, trains, cars, pedestrians, bicycles etc but makes no fuss, asks no glory. Among sweeping art nouveau beauties it is a cheerful old Victorian dam wearing black for someone she remembers fondly. It’s my favorite bridge.
I have at least four babies out in the world that I want to make baby quilts for. I was pushing hard to get one done but was stuck in design phase. Some babies are hard to design for. Sometimes changing gears is the best idea. I shifted to a quilt for my Little Sister‘s toddler. It was easy to choose fabric, easy to choose a pattern (Castles in Spain), and with the help of Gimp, easy to mock up a twin quilt for a big boy:
Yes, imperfections. The finished quilt will have some too.
I keep a blog where I talk a lot about brain surgery and what not. So here I’ll just say: I’m starting to feel well enough to feel crafty again.
Yesterday I took a class with my Mother at Twisted to learn how to make a lace shawl with beads.
Wednesday of last week I joined the Portland Modern Quilters Guild.
Socks are going well. Except for a little embroidery on my crazy quilt while watching a movie last night the socks are my only project. Since that means simply knitting in circles I am likely to try for a more interesting project on the side. Or not. So far nothing is jumping out at me except the idea to make legwarmers to match my cowl.
The cat’s name is Pirate and we call her our kitten. She’s only three.
One of my current active projects is a crazy quilt I’ve been working on for a while now (aka years). It’s about the size of a couch cushion but will be wall mounted when it’s done. The piecing was fairly quick but the creative process of adding all the crazy embroidery is long and slow. I have no plan. I open my embroidery books and choose a stitch and add it where it fits. The big limit is that I want to work predominantly in tones of red.
I think my next move will be filling over the black by the maple leaves with little red seed stitches.